Wednesday 27 February 2013

Studio brief: What is good/ Re-written

Below is my edited version of the brief, i have altered elements of it to match my ambitions with in the brief. 

Brief

I aim to produce a body of work which explores the relationship between content, context and product in relation to Marc Jacobs perfumes. I will discover information in relation to my chosen theme and aim to produce a response that clearly and effectively exploits the concept of 'perfume'. I will do this by investigating 'a collection of' perfumes.
My aim is to create a brand of perfume inspired by elements of existing perfume bottles and packaging design, yet injects a fresh and individual feel to the products. The products should excite and attract young fashionable perfume collectors who are interested in beauty, the target audience are females aged 21-30. This age group will be interested in the popularity of perfume as well as the charming excitement that promotes scents. 


My work should practically and conceptually explore designs and innovative ideas such as bottles, packaging, samples, adverts, websites and additional promotional products. 

Background / Considerations

This brief is in three parts

Part 1: Attend all introductory workshops and crits to receive ongoing feedback in relation to 'perfume'. Investigate though roughly into perfume, product and packaging design. Explore research from a  range of primary and secondary sources for ongoing documentation on my blog.

Part 2 I will develop a body of practical and contextual research that explores the relationship between TWO of the following areas of design.

Publishing & Editorial

Information & Way-finding

Branding & Identity

Product & Packaging

Retail & Promotion

I will focus primarily on branding and identity to develop a contextual body of research to refer back to when designing, as well as to use for inspiration and guidance when practicing elements of branding and identity myself.  I will focus my secondary research based upon product and packaging as this is an area of design i wish to learn a lot about as well as practice in my work, by doing so i will be able to document a critical, observational and reflective understanding on my blog as well as produce a 16 page Design Context Publication which will include research areas in relation to perfume - Marc Jacobs.

Part 3: I will develop and produce a practical and contextual response to my research about perfume that brings together my research into content, context, specific design disciplines and appropriate media/formats. My response should explore the relationship between product range and method/media of distribution as well as aim to please a female audience aged 21-30, the tone of voice addressed will be endearing as well as exciting to attract attention.

Mandatory requirements

I will need to meet any mandatory requirements specified on individual briefs.
In addition to the submission requirements for the briefs I will need to evidence the research, development and production of your resolutions.
My work should be documented through regular labeled posts to my Design Practice and Design Context Blog.
Correct labeling of my work on my blog is essential.  Failure to organize my work clearly will affect the assessment of my work 
My response to the brief should be supported by a short rationale (250 words) and evaluation of my work in relation to the initial brief.

Deliverables

Design sheets showing an exploration of drawings resulting in illustrations, bottle and packaging design

Mock ups for experimentation and alteration development 

Final products executed of a high standard to compare with the existing competition in the perfume industry

Photographed and documented work on my blog
Presentation boards articulating the selected research development, resolution and contextualization of my work.
Posts to your Design Practice & Design Context blog demonstrating my ability to effectively record, document and critically evaluate the progress of my work in relation to your own intentions and appropriate areas of contemporary creative practice.
A 16 Page Design Context Presentation and supporting research

Studio Deadline

Interim Concept Presentations - 19 / 03 / 2013

Module deadline

21 / 05 / 2013 - 1pm

Design ideas:

- Design and produce a next in line 2013 perfume product to join the editions of the Marc Jacobs series.
- Design and develop my own brand of perfume which will consist of bottle, packaging and promotional material inspired by Marc Jacobs perfumes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment