Monday 8 October 2012

Interesting points about my 'history of handbags' research


Those deemed to be celebrities are well known by the general public, often inspiring or influencing individuals through the media. 
I'm interested in celebrity culture as i find aspects of fame and fortune humorous, encouraging and interesting, modern celebrity culture especially.
I enjoy reading blogs and magazines as i like to be in the loop about the latest celebrity gossip and new fashion trends, often enough i learn cool facts and sometimes fictional information about prominent profiles .

Prominent profiles that create a great degree of public fascination and influence in day to day media tend to be people like: politicians, actors/actresses and those of the arts. 
By collecting lists of people at the beginning of my research i came across many important profiles who i found interesting and relevant for my history of handbags research.
I love fashion and all things design, so looking into the history of handbags, where they originated from, why, how and who by gave me a huge insight into one of my favourite designed products - the handbag. 

The definitive break through came in the 1960's when the young generation of fashion designers hit the scene.
Designers such as Mary Quant, Paco Rabanne and Yves Saint Laurent allowed themselves to be inspired by the youth culture of the time. 
I loved investigating the most established designers, their back ground history and their most exclusive work. By doing so i learned designers crafting techniques, unique designing styles and many things about fashion and the contenders within it.  

The most popular brands are identified due to their selling success of iconic handbags and trademark designs. 
One of the most popular patterns in fashion is by Louis Vuitton, according to statistics LV is the most counterfeited brand in fashion history. 
I enjoyed learning cool facts about notable designers as it inspired me for further work.

I looked a little more into the designer label LV and came across some interesting collaborative work.
The most recent artist that Marc Jacobs from LV has collaborated with is an installation artist called Yayoi Kusama, creating leather goods, clothing, accessories, and jewellery. 
I decided to design my three graphic products based on my findings as i am interested in the areas of fashion, art and design. Overall happy with my final products and received positive feedback. 

Returning to earlier research i read some thought provoking articles about woman and their handbags. According to psychologists the way a woman carriers her bag can say a lot about their personality.
I'm a genuine enthusiast about psychology and of course handbags, so this area of research was very interesting for me. 

Our summer brief was to do in-depth research as well as design a series of products. I thought the best way to portray my research was to design products that showed engaging and intriguing knowledge about a woman and her handbag. 
I was happy with the pair of posters i created which had the theme of 'bagology' (the psychology into buying a handbag) as i felt i was informing people of a new understanding about what a bag can symbolise.

A slightly different discovery was the info graphics about handbags i found stating that the country with the highest luxury handbag affinity was the UK.
Surprised at this as i assumed the fashion capital was New York followed by Paris then London.
I like to know information about most search bags and popular models in the market of bags as its informative and surprising to know about a daily object know as the handbag.

Recently i went to a fashion show at the Harvey Nichols store in Leeds.
I collected a couple of images for primary research.
I thought attending would be fun and inspiring for work as the designers showcasing clothing were high end, they were also the designers that i had researched.

No comments:

Post a Comment