Saturday 22 October 2011

Alphabet soup / Illustrator workshop


In a previous brief, visual thinking, I was given the word 'condense' from the randomiser. From there i had to design 10 letter forms all of which resembled, explained or showed 'condense'. I found that brief challenging, never the less i completed the letters and got positive feedback in a group crit, i just felt i should have explored more ideas and tried to understand a way of working with type which could of incorporated my given word more.
For this brief i am set to create a full alphabet and glyphs using one of the letterforms i designed in visual thinking, and to work with the original font i first produced that from (helvetica).


Firstly i designed a 4x8 grid on illustrator to fill 26 letters and glyphs, i started with my original font to work form - helvetica.






I these were the best letter forms i should work from as they identify more elements of the word 'condense' in than the rest.







I used my initial letter H to experiment with illustrator and to get an idea of what shapes, colours and scale i wanted to work with. 




I then explored with a range of colours, and ways of presenting each letter. I'm unsure whether the bubble like H's are legible, especially as a full alphabet or when composed as a word.





No comments:

Post a Comment