Monday 10 October 2011

Alphabet Soup / Typeface

After looking through Andy's question are, i concluded that an alphabet based on Russel brands eccentric hair and a superhero theme combined would be a adventurous idea. 

Here is some work i produced to fulfill my idea:
Stage 1. gathering key points about Andy's personality, interests, and a vision of what i would like to base the typeface on







Stage 2. after introducing my idea for the typeface in a group crit, i had some positive feedback about the designs, my peers liked the concept and thought my initial sketches were vivid and appealing. My contructive criticism was go with one style or the other, meaning the Russel Brand hair or a superhero/ characterized font. Doing both would be too complex and maybe wouldn't give me the final typeface i imagined. 

Stage 3. I researched a little more, from comic style fonts to comic book layouts followed by art deco batman posters, to finally, logos. I then went back to the sketch book to develop my ideas further, here are some of my sketches:



Stage 4. Back to basics, i need to design a hand rendered typeface which represents Andy, he has a huge interest in comic books, i have finally decided to just base the typeface fully influenced by comic book writing and the batman character a star of the superhero world. I will use a bold font- kino, and incorporate elements of batman's attire and style and iconic imagery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment